‘Virtual’ expoEM Spring 2021 - Saturday 22nd May
10.30am - 5.30pm
In view of the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic and the restrictions on social interaction that are likely to remain in place for the next few months, it will not be possible to hold expoEM Spring in its usual format for the second year running. Instead, the EMGS are going online to host a 'Virtual expoEM'. Some of the content is still to be finalised, but the plan is to feature video presentations of several 'layouts which never leave home', and a number which appear only very occasionally on the exhibition circuit, in more normal times.
Of those in the line-up thus far, all are built to EM gauge except one.
- Drighlington and Adwalton (P4) - Steve Hall
Elmham Market - Nigel Burbidge
Hornsey Broadway - Kier Hardy
Leeds City North - John Elliott
Liverpool Lime Street - John Holden
Retford - Sandra Orpen
Stockport Tiviot Dale - Richard Challis
South Pelaw – The South Pelaw Group
New video footage is being prepared in readiness for the event, and our aim is that some archive footage of other layouts will also be included.
A range of other interactive events are also planned.
Throughout the day there will be a series of live ‘Webinar’ style lectures giving participants the opportunity to join in the discussions. Those in the pipeline are:-
10.30 am - Martin Nield has agreed to present an updated lecture on 'Authentic Model Railway Operation' the subject of his book published by Wild Swan Publications.
- 12.00 noon - John Brighton’s presentation will feature his layout ‘Millhouses’ ,and will look at the development and evolution over the last thirty years.
- 2.30 pm - John Chivers’ new layout ‘Elmore’ will be featured detailing its recent construction.
- 4.00 pm - Chris Foren’s specialist subject features in his presentation, entitled
‘First Generation DMUs - Aspects of Operation’.
Joining details will be found on the Society website shortly prior to the event.
Go to https://www.emgs.org/
Or if you wish to go directly to the show:
Other presentations will include demonstrations of modelling skills and techniques, from designing kits for locomotive chassis, how to solder, and scenery portrayal.
- Tree making, static grass and other scenic work - Paul Ash
- Weathering - Mick Bonwick
- How to use Templot - Phil Chudley
- Layout Planning & Design - The Kentside Branch - Karl Crowther
- Scratchbuilding on the Computer - Frank Davies
- The control systems on Buckingham - Tony Gee
- Soldering for beginners - It's not a black art - Roger Sawyer
In addition to all this, it is planned to have links to several of the traders that would normally be in attendance to expoEM, plus some others too.
Last but not least, the EMGS Stores (via the Members’ Area of the website) will be operating as normal during the event, with the added benefit that FREE POSTAGE to UK will apply to all purchases made during the time the event is live (i.e. 10.30am to 5.30pm).
The event should be of interest to all modellers and is free to access - simply go to the EMGS website www.emgs.org and follow the links provided.
While the virtual event will be first uploaded on Saturday 22nd May, the majority of the content will be available thereafter, so you can view it at your own convenience.
The full programme of events (*all provisional at this stage) once finalised, will also be accessible via the EMGS website prior to the day of the event.
*All content subject to confirmation.